"STRENGTH does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. "
~ Gandhi

E-Rod's Angels

E-Rod's Angels

Monday, May 24, 2010

Sunday, May 23

Today, we woke up at 6 am with vampires knocking at our door. This time it took them two tries but then around noon we get the very disappointing news that the blood clotted so that they required more pricking. Good thing they didn't have to search for a vein on the 3 try. They only pricked his finger which if they knew how much he bleed from just a finger stick they wouldn't have bothered with his rolling veins. You feel so helpless and angry. Good news is that his blood count was good again today, no blood transfusion!! Around 9 am, he started being himself again, playing with his games on my phone, talking to the TV and just laughing at mommy acting goofy. I was so happy to see my baby smile and make funny faces. Around 1 pm dad came back with Curious George Patient stuff animal and an Elmo balloon that Ethan loved!!!

After lunch, Dr. Kim stopped by and told us that everything looked great. She complimented Ethan for being the easiest patient she's worked on. She also put the orders in to have the epidural and catheter removed. Not sure we will be happy about that but that gets us one step closer to freedom/out of the hospital. The physical therapist stopped by encouraging us to take Ethan for a walk but what they didn't know was that my baby wanted to go out regardless. So off we went and took Ethan for a stroll around the hospital. About 10 minutes later we hear on the PA system "ETHAN RODRIGUEZ, PLEASE CALL THE NURSES STATION" we were like did they just call out for Ethan...wow, you must be important. As it turns out it was the Pediatrician that wanted to check his eyes that had been bugging him and to tell us that they were going to order a test because she thought she heard a heart murmur, at that point I just about dropped to my knees. I really don't think I can stand one other thing but as they say "God doesn't give you anything you can't handle" but "GOD, I REALLY CAN'T HANDLE ANOTHER THING!!! PLEASE HAVE MERCY ON ME!" That's all I kept saying and praying for.

We got back to the room from our nice walk and they began to remove the epidural and the catheter. At that point we knew it was going to be a very long night. He started being really fussy and not being the happy baby he had been earlier that day. It was a very long night for all of us. He kept waking up because he was either having muscle spasms or anxiety attacks that the blood suckers were coming back. Regardless, it made for a very long night and we hope tomorrow is a better day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment